Yesterday, I made a delicious chicken, vegetable, bean and rice dish. I don’t know what else to call it! It’s sort of like a Mexican beans and rice or a chicken gumbo. It doesn’t matter what it’s called, it’s good, healthy, and satisfying.
Chicken, Veggie & Rice Skillet
Recipe yields about 6 servings
What You Need:
– 1 pound chicken (breasts or tenderloins) cut into cubes
– salt and pepper, to taste
– Pam or any cooking spray
– 2 zucchini, sliced and quartered
– 1 cup bell peppers, chopped (any color, I used red, orange and yellow)
– 1 can black beans, undrained
– 1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
– half a 16 oz bag frozen corn
– 2/3 cup water
– 1 cup rice (I used white because we had it)
– shredded cheese, if desired (I can’t eat dairy right now, but the hubby said cheese makes it extra yummy)
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook in a skillet over medium heat until done, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, spray a large skillet or pot with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add the zucchini and bell peppers and cook to desired softness, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in undrained can of black beans, Rotel tomatoes, corn and water. Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil.
4. Add rice and chicken. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed.
5. Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
315 calories per serving, without cheese
I found this recipe on Pinterest. It is originally a vegetarian dish that I tweaked (since my husband is a huge meat-eater). You can find the original vegetarian recipe here.
When you’re hungry and you know it, eat something healthy! *clap, clap*